- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110* to 115*)
- 1 cup warm milk (110* to 115*)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional all-purpose flour
- In a saucepan, cook potato in 1-1/2 cups water until very tender; drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Mash potatoes (without added milk or butter); set aside. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, 4 cups flour, potatoes and reserved cooking liquid. Beat until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with additional flour. Bake at 375* for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
- 32 servings, 16 per loaf, 1 slice per serving. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forBest Potato Bread
"I only gave this recipe 2 stars because of the instructions. This is not for a beginner bread maker. The amount of water is unclear. The amount of flour is unclear. If I wasn't an experienced bread maker, I would have been in trouble. Instructions should be more clear and specific. 4 cups of flour VS 6-7 cups. Drain potatoes reserving only 1/2 cup. But the recipe calls for the reserve water twice. Second rising time 3 minutes? confusing. Sorry."
"omg im so glad i try this recipe cause it worth it i absolute love it sp yummy so thankyou to the owner of this recipe now i don't have to buy one again love love love it"
"I make this famous potato bread for my son all the time and now he's a nerd ( ?? ?? ??)"
"Would you like to buy some of my famous potato bread ( ?? ?? ??)"
"Would you like to buy some of my famous potato bread? ( ?? ?? ??)"
"I love this bread! It is so soft and good. I tried it with red potatoes the second time and it didn't turn out as well. I think the starchiness of the russet potatoes works wonders."