Berry Coulis with Dutch Pancakes
My husband makes his mom's crepe-like Dutch pancakes with our kids on Saturdays. I came up with the berry sauce, and the dish is now our brunch standard. —Shannon Koene, Blacksburg, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes24 filled pancakes
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened blackberries
- 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Sweetened whipped cream and maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in extract.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir batter. Fill a 1/4-cup measure halfway with batter; pour into center of pan. Quickly lift, tilt and rotate pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn pancake over and cook until bottom is cooked, 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing pan as needed. When cool, stack pancakes between pieces of waxed paper or paper towels.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon berry mixture down the center of each pancake; roll up. If desired, top with whipped cream and syrup.