Ben’s English Toffee
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped and toasted
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cream of tartar; stir in cream and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 171 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 12, 2017
LOVE! Came out perfect and was so delicious [recipe as is]. Thank you.
Dec 23, 2010
Never mind... Thanks for sharing!
Dec 23, 2010
Looks easy and yummy but when does the rum extract go in?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.