Ben’s English Toffee
I’ve been cooking since I was very young, and I first made this toffee recipe when I was 12 years old. I love to prepare desserts—candy is my favorite. —Ben Lohse, Worcester, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped and toasted
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cream of tartar; stir in cream and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 171 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Ben's English Toffee in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Sep 12, 2017
LOVE! Came out perfect and was so delicious [recipe as is]. Thank you.
Dec 23, 2010
Never mind... Thanks for sharing!
Dec 23, 2010
Looks easy and yummy but when does the rum extract go in?