English Toffee Bars
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-3/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- Butter a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, melt the remaining butter. Add sugar and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 295° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in pecans and salt.
- Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, score into lines. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- Separate into squares, using a sharp knife if necessary. In a microwave, melt candy coating, stirring often. Dip squares, one at a time, in coating. Place on waxed paper until set.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 214 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely delicious! I followed the instructions exactly and it turned out amazing! It is very easy to make, do make sure your thermometer is correct, mine was showing cooler than it was.
Jun 10, 2014
Great recipe and super easy!!!!
Dec 19, 2013
This turned out great. I added some very finely ground nuts to the top of the chocolate. Also I didn't dip but put the melted chocolate on top only. I made 25 pounds (with a helper), to give as wrapped gifts at the party u gave for my Dad's 100th birthday party and got numerous compliments on it. Going to make some to give away for Christmas too.
Nov 11, 2011
This is delicious! I made this years ago when it first was printed and it was great! Did again today and once again a big hit!
May 11, 2010
What is milk chocolate candy coating?
Oct 22, 2009
THIS CANDY WAS A DISAPPOINTMENT. IT SEEMED TO HAVE WAY TOO MUCH BUTTER. ???
Dec 21, 2008
I had never tried to make a candy before, but this was so easy to make and delicious. At room temperature the center is soft enough for us older folks with dentures to eat comfortably. If you prefer a harder center, I suggest cooking a minute longer.