Fill up a tray or tin with this traditional candy topped with chocolate and nuts. It really says “Christmas” in a yummy way.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted, divided
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with foil; grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Sprinkle 1 cup pecans into prepared pan; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and the remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape sides of saucepan).
- Sprinkle with chocolate; spread with a knife when melted. Sprinkle with the remaining pecans. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 266 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Buttercrunch Toffee in Country Woman Christmas 2012