Ginger Ellsworth of Caldwell, Idaho shares a tasty way to use leftover roast or steak and get a delicious supper on the table in about a half hour. The warm, rich taste of this mushroom soup is sure to please.
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Fall Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2/3 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until onion is tender; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth; gradually add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the roast beef, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt, pepper sauce and onion mixture; cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Beefy Mushroom Soup in Cooking for 2 Fall 2005, p33
Reviews forBeefy Mushroom Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2010
"This will be a regular lunch item for me and a great cold weather meal for the whole family. Check out the calories!"