Beef and Blue Cheese Penne with Pesto
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups), coarsely chopped
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl. Add spinach, tomatoes, pesto and walnuts; toss to coat. Cut steak into thin slices. Serve pasta mixture with beef; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 532 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 9g fiber), 35g protein.
Aug 9, 2015
Simple, delicious recipe. The only changes I made were using goat cheese instead of blue cheese and pecans instead of walnuts. Even my picky husband who isn't fond of salads said it doesn't suck, which translates to "it's tasty" - just not his favorite meal.
Feb 6, 2015
An excellent recipe. Get your deli to cut a few thicker slices of roast beef, then the dish comes together really fast.
Jul 10, 2014
This was excellent. I followed the recipe. If you want to save money, omit the cheese.
Feb 7, 2014
Easy and delicious...I substituted 6 oz. of petite sirloin which was tough even after marinating in red wine so I would stick with the beef tenderloin but just use 4-6 ounces for 4 servings. I think deli roast beef would be a worthwhile substitute for the steak as well. Worth trying...but the whole dish was so delicious.
Jun 3, 2012
Excellent quick and healthy dish. Would be just as good without the beef.
May 2, 2012
This is one of my favorites! My husband does not care for uncooked tomatoes, so I lightly saute them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and wilt the spinach with the tomatoes. We also have used venison steak instead of beef.
Apr 24, 2012
We love this recipe, it is quick, easy and delicious.
Apr 5, 2012
This was delicious! I topped mine with blue cheese and my husband had feta. It was equally great. After I tossed everything together, except meat and cheese, I put in oven for a bit to cook spinach and tomato a bit more.
Jan 29, 2012
I have never rated any recipes, but I couldn't let this one go. It was AMAZING!! Everyone loved it. It will definitely be added as a favorite. It is a great combo of healthy yet hearty. Very fresh tasting.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.