Most members of my family would agree that no picnic is complete until these delicious beans have made their appearance. Preparing them in a slow cooker makes them easy to transport to any gathering. —Diane Hixon, Niceville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 10 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place beans in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients. Add the beans. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours longer or until beans are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Beans in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.