Bacon-Wrapped Blue Cheese Shrimp
Blue cheese, bacon and basil pack big flavor into a couple of bites. To save time, you can assemble the skewers the night before and then serve them hot from the broiler on the day. —Vivi Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 16 uncooked shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 cubes blue cheese (1/2 inch)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 8 bacon strips, halved
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- Preheat broiler. Combine butter, garlic and pepper sauce. Cut a slit in each shrimp along the inside curve; flatten slightly. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper. Press a cheese cube into slit. Wrap a basil leaf and bacon piece around each shrimp; secure with a toothpick.
- Place shrimp on a greased rack of a broiler pan. Broil 6-8 in. from heat until shrimp turn pink and bacon is crisp, 5-6 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with butter mixture.
- Arrange shrimp on a serving platter; sprinkle with celery, crumbled blue cheese and basil.