- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups apricot preserves
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 ounces almond paste
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In another bowl, combine milk, butter, sugar, salt, potato flakes and eggs. Let stand 1 minute. Add milk mixture and 3 cups flour to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Place preserves, sugar, almond paste and butter in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Punch dough down. Divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into 14x7-in. rectangle. Spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Place rolls, seam side down, on two parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Pinch ends together to form two rings. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of rings at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Let rise until doubled about 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm tea rings and sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 2 rings (8 slices each).
Reviews forApricot-Almond Tea Rings
"This tea ring is delicious. I sent one to my husband's work and brought one to my office. Immediately someone told me they would pay whatever I wanted if I would make them one!Deanna in Texas"