Apple Cakes with Lemon Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- In a small bowl, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg white until combined. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to shortening mixture just until combined. Fold in apple and pecans (batter will be thick).
- Divide between two 8-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in lemon juice and butter until blended. Spoon over warm cakes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 560 calories, 26g fat (6g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 2, 2013
yummy! I added some vanilla icecream too:) simple, easy recipe!!!
Mar 20, 2012
I have made this recipe many times. Easy to mix up cakes before dinner and then microwave the sauce at dessert time.
Jan 11, 2012
very moist and very good. Just like my grandma's raw apple cake!
Aug 5, 2010
It was ok. I thought it would be better
Feb 2, 2009
YUM, can't wait to try this tomorrow as a neighbor gave me some cooking apples.