Zucchini & Cheese Casserole Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 small zucchini, chopped (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups crushed Rice Chex
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl; cool slightly.
- 2. In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Drizzle over cereal and toss to coat.
- 3. Stir cheese, eggs, salt and pepper into zucchini mixture; transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 260 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Zucchini & Cheese Casserole
"This was really good. I did double the cheese to 2 cups. I also added more butter. The topping was delicious. Also, a great gluten free recipe. I might add and extra egg next time. I will make this again and I am giving the recipe to my neighbor."
"Yummy! I'll make this again when zucchini is in season."
"Very good recipe to use zucchini. The crumb topping makes it appealing and tasty. Plan on making it again soon."
"Great recipe. Everyone loved it and will certainly be making it again."
"I thought this was a great summer idea. I used half zucchini and half yellow squash because it's what I had. Have to cut the sodium way down at our house so I didn't salt, actually used 1/2 t of Mrs. Dash no salt Fiesta Lime seasoning, used swiss cheese ( a lot less sodium) and I used crushed Ritz crackers that are the "hint of salt" kind instead of cereal. Still tasty."
"This was easy to prepare. Used crushed corn flakes as I didn't want to go buy Rice Chex. I didn't have enough zucchini so added fresh sliced mushrooms and sliced pre-cooked Jimmy Dean turkey sausages to "bulk it up." Also added a little extra cheese. Made a great main dish. Next time I might sub pepper jack cheese and crushed tortilla chips for a tex mex version. Just have to figure out how to incorporate salsa and/or tomatoes."
"Very good, everyone loved it. I used crushed butter flavored crackers on top because I didn't have the cereal."
"As a zucchini lover, I really appreciate this easy casserole. The zucchini absorbs the flavors from the cheese really well. I didn't have rice chex and used cracker crumbs instead. Definitely will make again."