- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Place flour in a small bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 3/4 cup of nut mixture; set aside for topping. Set aside remaining nut mixture for filling.
- In a small bowl, toss pears with lemon juice; set aside. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Spread two-thirds of the batter into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Top with the reserved nut mixture, pears and remaining batter. Sprinkle with walnuts and reserved topping mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Cool for 1 hour before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Walnut Pear Coffee Cake
Sort By :
"This was so good! The layers are so pretty and it was nice and moist. I took this to my sisters and the 4 of us gobbled it up! A special cake i'd definitely make again for company."
"Very moist and flavorful. The pears should be firm and not overly ripe. I shared slices of the cake with friends and got rave reviews. They think I am a great cook!"
"We make this every Christmas for brunch. LOVE it!"
"The first time I made this cake I thought it was the best ever and now after many more times making it, I still think the very ame thing. Excellent!!!!"
"This recipe won first prize at my office baking contest."