U.S. Senate Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup mashed potatoes or 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced parsley or chives
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, place the beans, ham bone or hocks and 3 quarts water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Skim fat if necessary. Add the onions, garlic, celery, parsley, potatoes, salt and pepper; simmer 1 hour longer.
- Set aside ham bones until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to Dutch oven. Heat through. Sprinkle with parsley or chives. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for U.S. Senate Bean Soup(7)
Sort By :
We've made this many times, and it goes well with a nice salad and muffins or rolls.
I've made this for years. I add diced potatoes and carrots in addition to the onions and celery. This is a wonderful comfort food soup. Homemade bread, something for dessert and you have a fabulous meal.
I use chicken stock for the water, add carrots, and use 5 cans of beans! delicious! have made this so many times!
A wonderful bean soup recipe. Made it the other day and will be a family favorite now. Followed the recipe as given, except left out the parsley. Thank you T of H!
We have used this recipe for years. It is our New Year's Day tradition...with a pan of cornbread.
We use 1 cup each of diced onion, carrots & celery. Sometimes we use diced ham for a less fat content.