I entered these muffins at our county fair and won the grand champion award for baked goods. They're so moist, they don't need butter.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in the pineapple, coconut and pecans.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled muffins in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature or, if desired, microwave each muffin on high for 20-30 seconds or until heated through. Yield: about 1 dozen.
Originally published as Tropical Muffins in Country June/July 2001, p51
Reviews for Tropical Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review