Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 490 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 89g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 24, 2018
This recipe makes the most tender, moist banana muffins. The caramel icing makes them decadent. I do half the icing because I just want a light glaze, not a frosting cover, on my muffin. I also add chopped walnuts because I prefer them in my muffins. Delish! I have made them countless times in jumbo and regular size. They are always a hit.
May 19, 2018
Liked muffins very much. All that banana makes them very moist. Like others, I baked in regular sized muffin cups. I did not frost the muffins, but instead topped them with unrefined sugar before baking. It gives muffins just a little crust in top. I will make again!!
Apr 26, 2018
These are sooo good! Be sure to make the icing right before putting it on the muffins, it gets harder to spread as it cools.
Jan 11, 2018
The muffins were Amazing and no icing is needed. Keeper for sure, thank you for sharing.
Aug 24, 2017
These are lovely! The glaze is wonderful! Mine got too cool before I put it on, so I added a smidge more milk. Then it worked fine. This is my new go-to for banana muffins!
Feb 4, 2017
Just finished these and tasted them. They are very moist and delicious! I also made them into 12 smaller ones.
Nov 12, 2016
Yes, these are very good! I made the frosting, but probably didn't need to have it. Will definitely make again. Very moist and love the texture.
Oct 23, 2016
As a Volunteer Field Editor, I enjoy testing different recipes. These are fanstastic! Had to use butter because I realized I didn't have shortening when I was ready I make them. Best eaten day of baking because the frosting will get kind of gloppy the next day from the moisture Iof the muffins. Still taste great but don't look as nice if you're planning to take them somewhere. They don't even need the frosting, but it's very good and does set them apart from other banana muffin recipes. I made 12 regular size muffins. They were still quite large and rose up nicely.
Apr 22, 2016
These muffins are awesome, they didn't last long, the whole family gobbled them up. I would only ever use my great-great aunt's banana bread recipe, this recipe is very similar which is why I decided to try it. So glad I did!! Sorry Aunt Maggie, but this is my new banana bread recipe now.
Mar 25, 2016
Good, moist muffin. The kids loved the caramel icing. Made them regular sized and cooked for 20 min. Definitely will be making these again!