Every year around this time, I'll make this bread for my family. I've also given it as a homemade gift. It's pretty wrapped in colored foil or put in a tin. —Karen Grimes, Stephens City, Virginia
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Ina microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup chocolate chips; set aside to cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and cooled chocolate; mix well. Add applesauce and vanilla; set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.
- Spoon into four greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- For glaze, melt chocolate chips and butter in a small heavy saucepan; stir in cream. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt. Drizzle over warm breads. Cool completely. Yield: 4 mini-loaves.
Originally published as Triple-Chocolate Quick Bread in Country Woman November/December 1996, p33
Reviews for Triple-Chocolate Quick Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review