- 4 cups coarsely crushed nacho tortilla chips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Arrange tortilla chips in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese and set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, onion, chilies, ketchup and hot pepper sauce; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Cheese Strata
"Way too much fat content! Taste awful"
"Cooked as is. Used Pepper Jack Cheese for a kick. Next time will add chorizo or jalapeno diced for more flavor and kick."
"I would use a lot less tortilla chips and maybe add some salt or salsa. Base reminded me of tamales."