You’ll need just a handful of ingredients to fix these tasty sandwiches from our Test Kitchen. Fully cooked sausages are stuffed with cheese and a homemade relish, then wrapped in foil so they’re easy to transport and a breeze to grill before the game.
- 1/2 cup giardiniera
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cooked Italian sausage links
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 4 brat buns or hot dog buns, split
- In a small food processor, combine giardiniera and sugar; cover and process until blended. Make a lengthwise slit three-fourths of the way through each sausage to within 1/2 in. of each end. Fill with giardiniera mixture and cheese.
- Place sausages in buns; wrap individually in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. x 10 in.). Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tailgate Sausages in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006, p41
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tailgate Sausages
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review