You’ll need just a handful of ingredients to fix these tasty sandwiches from our Test Kitchen. Fully cooked sausages are stuffed with cheese and a homemade relish, then wrapped in foil so they’re easy to transport and a breeze to grill before the game.
- 1/2 cup giardiniera
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cooked Italian sausage links
- 4 slices provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 4 brat buns or hot dog buns, split
- In a small food processor, combine giardiniera and sugar; cover and process until blended. Make a lengthwise slit three-fourths of the way through each sausage to within 1/2 in. of each end. Fill with giardiniera mixture and cheese.
- Place sausages in buns; wrap individually in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. x 10 in.). Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tailgate Sausages in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006, p41
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Tailgate Sausages
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2010
"I was wondering what the stuff it, myself!"
Reviewed Sep. 11, 2009
"I guess it's an Italian relish."
Reviewed Sep. 8, 2009
"i was wondering that myself"
Reviewed Oct. 11, 2008
"What is giardiniera?"