Pre-cooked, frozen popcorn chicken simmered in a thick, homemade sweet-and-sour sauce is the secret to this fast and fabulous entree. And what a great way to dress up frozen chicken nuggets! “This is one menu you’ll find yourself returning to again and again,” suggests Amy Corlew-Sherlock from Lapeer, Michigan.
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen popcorn chicken
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/3 cups; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through.
- Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package directions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006, p19
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review