- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen popcorn chicken
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/3 cups; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through.
- Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package directions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken
"I have made this several times. I like to bake the popcorn chicken (not nuggets!) rather than microwave them. This keeps them crispier. Also I add the chicken at the very last minute. For leftovers the chicken does get softer again but that's just the nature of keeping them mixed in the sauce. If you want to keep chicken crispy keep it separated and re-toast or bake for a few minutes again to warm up. I also tend to use 1 green and 1 red pepper for color and a larger onion for extra flavor. Serve with rice or noodles for a very satisfying meal!"
"This recipe was very good. The chicken nuggets weren't really good. I had baked them first, then added to the sauce, but they were mushy. The next time I make this, I will probably just use chicken breast. I'm sure it will be even tastier! Thanks for the recipe!"
"I have been making this since it first appeared in the magazine a few years back. I do cook the chicken in the oven instead of the microwave as we like our chicken a tad crunchy. I also add mushrooms, as per daughter's request."
"Delicious! I made this exactly as written and served it with the Fried Rice and Egg Drop Soup from the same reader."
"I love this recipe, it tastes just like take out but I know what ingredients are going into the meal. I do prefer using cooked cubed chicken as opposed to the breaded popcorn chicken. I need to make this again! It's great!!"