Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen popcorn chicken
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/3 cups; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through.
- Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package directions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken
Sort By :
"Delicious! I made this exactly as written and served it with the Fried Rice and Egg Drop Soup from the same reader."
"I love this recipe, it tastes just like take out but I know what ingredients are going into the meal. I do prefer using cooked cubed chicken as opposed to the breaded popcorn chicken. I need to make this again! It's great!!"
"I made these for a group of friends last night who were just hanging out and they devoured them. I definitely prepped before I started cooking though and I put the chicken in the oven not the microwave to give them a crispier texture. Absolutely delicious!"
"I love this recipe. The sauce is wonderful!! The only thing about this recipe to be aware of is to prep everything before you start to cook. I'm a prep as I go cook and that was a little difficult with this recipe."
"This is really excellent and a creative way to use popcorn chicken. Way tastier than take out. My husband and kids loved it! I will add this to anytime we want a Chinese food night."