Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken Recipe
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen popcorn chicken
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain pineapple, reserving the juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1-1/3 cups; stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pineapple. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, microwave chicken according to package directions. Stir into pineapple mixture. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Popcorn Chicken(6)
Sort By :
This is really excellent and a creative way to use popcorn chicken. Way tastier than take out. My husband and kids loved it! I will add this to anytime we want a Chinese food night.
This was so delicious! And so easy to make! Tasted like the real thing! :)
I love this recipe. I have made it for years and we absolutely love it. It's as good as take out!
The sauce was perfect. I've tried other sweet-and-sour recipes and they never tasted quite right. My search has finally ended! The ONLY thing I did different was double the sauce and cooked the chicken in the oven instead of microwave. Can't wait to make again!
I have about a dozen recipes from this magazine that I make regularly, and this is one of them. We love it, and the ease of the chicken saves a step. I've even made it for guests.
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Stir Fry >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >