- 2 medium yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute the summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, cheese, soup, sour cream and salt. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Summer Squash Mushroom Casserole
"Turned out excellent and was a hit with the adults. The kiddos didn't like it (I presume the squash texture was the killer). Still giving a 5 star rating for it WAS THAT GOOD!"
"I've been making this recipe WAY before it was printed in taste of home; not sure where I got the original recipe from. A great side dish, sometimes it's a little on the runny side. But good."
"I've made this recipe many times and it's one of my favorites. I passed it along to my daughter and she is also a big fan of it. The only change I make is substituting fat free ingredients where possible. I don't think it effects the taste negatively in anyway. I especially enjoy this casserole as a cold leftover."
"For as good as this looks and sounds, particularly notice carb.count appears to be ***diabetic friendly***. Very6 much enjoy reading others' ideas on this recipe. Particularly like idea of adding sweet red pepper!"
"I omitted the mushrooms and added green pepper instead. Will make it again. it was wonderful."