- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Mash or slice the strawberries; place in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat egg and milk; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Fill eight greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan to cool on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon berries and whipped cream between layers and over tops of shortcakes. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake Cups
Sort By :
This is awesome! I just substituted the whipped cream with ice cream to suit my taste better. Otherwise followed the recipe exactly.
Strawberry shortcake is a favorite summer time dessert. I loved the idea of baking the shortcakes in a muffin pan. I added 2 more tbsp. of sugar to my shortcakes because I like them a little bit sweeter. Overall a great dessert and very easy to make.
I've used this recipe for years, my mom's. It's a winner and always pleases family and friends.
I would add fresh blueberries or some other fruit.I like to make my muffins from a mix so would use a blueberry muffin mix then follow the instructions to the end.
Definitely five stars. I'm making it for our family 4th of July celebration. It's nostalgic and delicious.