- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake
Sort By :
"Perfect! I was looking for a shortcake recipe that is not a biscuit, but not quite cake. This is it. I sprinkled sugar on the top to add some texture and fun. This will be my go to recipe!"
"Delicious! This reminds me of the shortcake my mom used to make."
"Absolutely the BEST shortcake recipe I've ever had. Easy, quick and delicious. The cake is tender and slightly dense. This shortcake does not overshadow good strawberries at all, only compliments the berry's true flavor. Just sweet enough that you only need to add a minimal amount of sugar to juice up the berries."
"Hands down, this is the best shortcake I have ever tried. It was light and fluffy and had good flavor. I served it for Mother's day and everyone was raving about it. This one is a keeper. I did toss the berries with some sugar to form a little sauce but other than that I stuck to the recipe. You can't fail with this one."
"The picture does not represent the recipe at all. Those are not just plain strawberries, but a glaze. There are no instructions to make the glaze. Also, the post from the recipe author doesn't say a thing about the recipe, just about her family. I found that odd and not helpful at all."