Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake
Sort By :
"This was delicious and so easy to make! I had berries that needed used, and we live a good 20 minute drive to the nearest store, so I wanted to find a recipe for shortcake that I might already have all the ingredients for. This worked great! My 4-year old helped and she loved it too! We didn't have whipped cream, but I had tried to make a Swiss meringue buttercream frosting a few weeks ago that I was kinda disappointed when it turned out tasting EXACTLY like whipped cream. So we made that for our whipped cream and it worked perfect! And for those complaining about not having a recipe for a strawberry glaze, I think you are crazy lol all we did was cut up our fresh berries first, sprinkled them with some sugar, put a lid on the bowl, and stuck it in the fridge while we worked on everything else. 45 minutes to an hour later, we've got nice sweet juicy strawberries with sugary juices left in the bowl. Perfect for drizzling between our layers and on top. We even threw some extra berries around our shortcake (bc we love love love strawberries) and it was perfect! Nice cold berries, not too sweet, just perfect! Keeping this one on the fridge to make whenever we've got berries needing used! Oh, and the Swiss meringue buttercream recipe we used is from Ron Ben-Israel, on the food network website. Try it!"
"Best shortcake every!! I sprinkle a little sugar over the warm cake when it comes out of the oven!"
"Great recipe and so easy to make. Goes perfect with our Oregon Hood Strawberries. Will be making this often."
"Loved the recipe, but I agree with other people who said they prefer a strawberry glaze rather than just strawberries on top. I think it would have been worth 5 stars had I not had to use another recipe from elsewhere."
"Absolutely amazing! We made it with gluten free substitutions."