- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced
- In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into nine servings. Split each serving horizontally and fill with whipped cream and strawberries. Replace top of cake; garnish with more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Shortcake
Sort By :
"I recently had the best strawberries & shortcake at a restaurant and wanted to re-create the dish. Based on the reviews I was expecting a dense slightly sweet cake that will compliment the berries & ice cream. The texture was fine but my teeth hurt from the sweetness! I would cut the sugar in half if not by more. I originally wanted to do that but wanted to try it as is based on other reviews. This is way to sweet for shortcake. I think this batch will be scraped, oh well."
"Perfect! I was looking for a shortcake recipe that is not a biscuit, but not quite cake. This is it. I sprinkled sugar on the top to add some texture and fun. This will be my go to recipe!"
"Delicious! This reminds me of the shortcake my mom used to make."
"Absolutely the BEST shortcake recipe I've ever had. Easy, quick and delicious. The cake is tender and slightly dense. This shortcake does not overshadow good strawberries at all, only compliments the berry's true flavor. Just sweet enough that you only need to add a minimal amount of sugar to juice up the berries."
"Hands down, this is the best shortcake I have ever tried. It was light and fluffy and had good flavor. I served it for Mother's day and everyone was raving about it. This one is a keeper. I did toss the berries with some sugar to form a little sauce but other than that I stuck to the recipe. You can't fail with this one."