- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups whole fresh strawberries
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the lemon juice, oil and water. Combine flour and salt; add to yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake.
- Cut into three horizontal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; top with some of the whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Arrange remaining sliced berries on sides of cake.
- Cut whole berries in half; arrange on cake top. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Cream Cake
"when in doubt about making a cake from scratch...I made this with a French vanilla cake mix, and it was wonderful. I do not have luck with sponge type (egg white) cakes, so I've always replaced it with a French vanilla cake mix..made a directed on box for baking, then follow other instructions for filling and how to frost."
"While I thought the cake tasted really good, it was a lot of effort and it didn't turn out very well. I'm glad I tried it at least once though!!!"
"Jolina first you beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form.Once that's done fold a fourth of the egg whites into the batter you made with the egg yolks in the second bullet, then fold the remaining whites into the same batter before carefully spooning it into the pan.You want to be careful with this step so you don't deflate the batter."
"Okay, This may sound stupid..it's my first time making a cake..I follow all the directions except I don't know when do I mixed the egg white?...I mean What do I do with it? Help Please.....Thank you."
"Made this today using (2) 9" round cake pans instead of the tube pan. Came out great. Had to bake about 30-35 minutes."