- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, partially thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup mashed firm bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Stir in strawberries, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Pour half of the mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Set the remaining gelatin mixture aside. Combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over the chilled gelatin. Spoon remaining gelatin mixture over top. Chill overnight. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry-Banana Gelatin Salad
Sort By :
"My mom made this every Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is the best! It wouldn't feel like the holidays without it! To fix the problem of not setting, follow this instead:Drain the pineapple very well.Use very ripe bananasHere is the recipe that has always worked well for my family:1 lg pk strawberry Jello (or 2 small)1 1/2 cups boiling water**Melt jello in water. CHILL jello (but not set!)In separate bowl:Mash 2 ripe bananasAdd a small can of drained crushed pineappleAdd - sm pk frozen strawberries ( thaw halfway and crush with fork before adding)Stir all gently into chilled jello and mix in a handful of crushed pecansLayer in a casserole dish - 1/2 jello mixture in bottom.Chill 45 minSpread sour cream (no sugar) on top.Pour remaining jello mixture on topChill completely**the chilling process is important to help it set properly.ENJOY!!"
"My mother made this every year for Thanksgiving and it was such a hit! It is a perfect dish for the holidays!"
"The flavor of this salad is delicious, however, it does not ever set up, it is like strawberry soup. I have made it several times and follow the recipe to the letter and it turns out the same every time."
"This was a great recipe for Christmas dinner. I doubled everything but the sour cream middle. It was delicious."
"Awesome sweetness/tartness combination, not so good at setting up."