- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, partially thawed
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup mashed firm bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Stir in strawberries, pineapple, bananas and nuts. Pour half of the mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Set the remaining gelatin mixture aside. Combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Spread over the chilled gelatin. Spoon remaining gelatin mixture over top. Chill overnight. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry-Banana Gelatin Salad
"For those whose salads did not congeal, THIS is your problem. Your water must be BOILING, not just super-hot. A real full-on rolling boil. You MUST stir the boiling water and jello together for THREE entire minutes. Use a timer. No shortcuts. You must also well-drain your pineapple, and pour off any runny liquid at the bottom of the partially thawed strawberries. This is a technique sensitive recipe, but if you do my "helps", I guarantee yours will set up nice and firm! I can cut mine in tight clean squares that do not slop or ooze, and serve it with a spatula. Hope that helps!"
"My mother made this every year for Thanksgiving and it was such a hit! It is a perfect dish for the holidays!"
"Awesome sweetness/tartness combination, not so good at setting up."
"My circle gals loved it & thought it very appropo for a springtime salad. I used black walnuts which gave it a great taste."
"I want to try this for my circle meeting next month but was wondering if the recipe can be doubled successfully or should I make it twice for ample servings? Tks"