- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup each shredded carrots and peeled potatoes
- 1 cup each raisins, chopped dates and nuts
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, raisins, dates and nuts.
- Pour into a well-greased 6-cup pudding mold or metal gelatin mold. Cover with foil. Place on a rack in a deep kettle. Add 1 in. of boiling water to kettle; cover and boil gently for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, replacing water as needed. Let stand for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Serve with warm pudding. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Steamed Carrot Pudding in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p16
Reviews for Steamed Carrot Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 27, 2010
"I made this for Christmas dinner and it got great reviews. I left out the nuts, increased the raisins to 1 1/2 cups, and added 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots. I served it with brandied hard sauce. Yummy!"