- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with couscous if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Squash 'n' Chicken Stew
Sort By :
"The best way I can describe this is to say it is boring. Edible; yes but I will not make it again. One positive note is to say the chicken was super tender; unfortunately it had very little flavor."
"This was ok. It took me longer than 15 minutes to prepare. It took a while to peel and cut the squash. I trimmed the fat off the chicken thighs (not sure if that was necessary), and that took a while. I think this recipe would be better if everything were cut the same size (1/2 inch chicken and green pepper is really small) and the spices were doubled. I would omit the water too; it came out like a soup."
"A very easy and satisfying stew. I added frozen corn and kale for more veggies. Also, we had the stew over elbow pasta. It is delicious and easy!"
"Very hearty and healthy. Good for those cold nights. We ate it over rice, the squash comes out delicious! Good way to get the kiddos to eat their veggies! Thanks for a good healthy meal!"
"Very flavorful!! My husbands family is from Morocco, and this recipe has a Moroccan flair!!! I do recommend that you cut up the sqash before peeling."