"A higher-fat version of this casserole was a big hit when my aunt and I ran a gourmet carryout business," relates Julie Remer of Gahanna, Ohio. " Now that I'm only cooking for my family, I'm trying to lighten things up a bit."
- 6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- Layer three phyllo sheets in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cheese, 2 eggs, parsley flakes and salt; spread over phyllo dough. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, lightly spraying the top of each sheet with cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 squares; cover and chill for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, milk and remaining eggs until blended; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Phyllo Squares in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p52
Reviews for Spinach Cheese Phyllo Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review