My inspiration for this recipe came from a Cajun pasta dish I make with blackened chicken, however substituting Italian sausage instead. I love this dish and it makes a hearty meal that warms you up all over. —Toni Dishman, Mooresville, North Carolina
Recommended: 40 Quick Dinners for Surprise Guests
- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 3 pork and chicken Italian sausage links (3-1/2 ounces each ), casings removed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, garlic and pepper flakes over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Add tomatoes, mascarpone cheese, cream and nutmeg; cook and stir over medium-low heat until sauce is blended. Stir in fontina cheese until melted.
- Drain rigatoni; add to sausage mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Sausage Rigatoni in tasteofhome.com
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spicy Sausage Rigatoni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review