Our home economists jazz up a can of refried beans with jalapeno pepper, seasonings and cheese. Serve with tortilla chips on the side for scooping.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Stir in the beans, water, hot pepper sauce, cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 cups.
Originally published as Spicy Refried Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p224
Reviews for Spicy Refried Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review