- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) sliced pears, drained and mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, pears, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into four 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Reviews for Spiced Pear Bread
"This is farandaway the best tasting spiced pear bread recipe I have come across in my life. But, I must emphasize the recipe ingredients and NOT the baking directions. As I got close to readying the pans (I prep and measure first), I knew something was wrong. A medium-mini sized loaf pan does not require 50-60 minutes to bake. Furthermore, this recipe would not fit into 4 pan of that size. I filled two 8.5" pans a bit more than half full and the loaves crested over the top of the pans. It took ~27 minutes for them to test done. The tops look kind of "rustic" but they are delicious! In my thought process, I thought OK they used fresh pears, yet recipe calls for 3 cans (15.25 oz each)--so not fresh poached pears. Anyway, wonderful recipe. Thank you, Rachel!If I could, I'd give it more than 5 stars."
"I made this bread last week to send to a friend of mine and it is fantastic!!! The combination of the pears and spices made a delightful bread."
"I have cooking class that I do with our residents at our nursing home and they had never ever heard of Pear Bread . We did use fresh pears instead of canned. The bread was amazing!"
"This was a good way to use up some pears I had from my tree. I like that it is not overly sweet, and is a light texture. I may bump up the cinnamon a tad the next time. A great fall recipe"
"Alittle extra clove and this is great. It's not overly sweet. I used canned pears. My 18 month old likes it too."