Pear-Stuffed French Vanilla Toast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large pear, peeled and sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread (1-1/2 inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups French vanilla ice cream, melted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and butter. Spread onto bottom of a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Layer with pear, raisins, bread cubes and pecans.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, ice cream, cinnamon and vanilla until blended; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Feb 21, 2016
Made this yesterday and loved it! I, too, used half and half instead of ice cream and I used a pear plus an apple. Tasty way to use day-old French bread. I will definitely be making this again.
Feb 18, 2016
Pear-Stuffed French Toast was excellent. My family absolutely loved it and good the next day also. Only change I made was that I used half and half instead of ice cream as that's what I had available at the time. Enjoy, Patricia M., Shakopee, MN