A rich blend of treasured spices flavors tender, nutritious bulgur and chickpeas in a tangy, nutritious stew that has just the right amount of heat. A hint of sweetness from golden raisins is the perfect accent. —Faith Cromwell, San Francisco, California
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups bulgur
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and pepper; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add bulgur; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add bulgur, tomatoes, broth, brown sugar and soy sauce to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until bulgur is tender. Stir in beans and raisins; cook 30 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Spice Trade Beans & Bulgur in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p52
Reviews for Spice Trade Beans & Bulgur
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review