- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the root beer, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add pork chops, one at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chops in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until chops are lightly browned; drain. Add root beer mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145°. Remove pork and keep warm. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Bring sauce to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Meanwhile, drain potatoes; mash with butter, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper. Serve with pork chops and sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Soda Pop Chops with Smashed Potatoes
Sort By :
"This sauce is great over chicken! I was worried my husband wouldn't like it b/c it does taste like barbeque sauce--a flavor he's not too fond of--but he surprised me by saying this recipe's a keeper.I cut 2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breasts in half length-wise, then sliced each section in half on a diagonal. (I prefer thinner, smaller cuts of meat. Tricks my mind into thinking I'm eating more if I load my plate up with several smaller pieces of chicken. lol) Next time, I might try 2.5 or possibly even 3 lbs. of chicken; I had leftover sauce. I paired this dish with my own version of mashed potatoes."
"Used diet root beer. This was. WAY too sweet for my husband and me. Also the chops took much longer. To cook through than the recipe calls for. I would not make it again."
"Made this last night for dinner and my husband loved it! I made my own potatoes and used diet soda. The sauce was a little sweet for me, but I would make this dish again especially since my husband loved it so much."
"This was wonderfull! We don't have Root beer here (in Norway) but I used Pepsi instead. Loved it and will make it again."
"This was a really inventive recipe with the root beer sauce. The root beer flavor was subtle enough that even people who didn't care for root beer liked it. Instead of potatoes, I made the pork chops with Taste of Home's Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole and Corn Fritters with Caramelized Onion Jam for a bright summer supper!"