Topped with a slice of cheesy toast hot from the broiler, homemade onion soup is guaranteed to please. Add a green side salad for a complete meal. —Hildy Schlegel, Addison, NY
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium red onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or additional beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, wine, basil, ground pepper, oregano, thyme and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 20-30 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 6 cups.
- Place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from heat 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Sprinkle with cheeses; broil 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as So-Easy-Yet-Delicious Onion Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p24
Reviews for So-Easy-Yet-Delicious Onion Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review