Sauerkraut gives these beer-simmered brats a big flavor boost, but it’s the special chili sauce and melted cheese that puts them over the top. Top your favorite burger with some of the chili sauce; you won't be sorry.—Alana Simmons, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
- 10 uncooked bratwurst links
- 3 bottles (12 ounces each) light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 10 hoagie buns, split
- 10 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, brown bratwurst in batches; drain. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beer, sliced onion and sauerkraut; add bratwurst. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until sausages are cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, chopped onion, relish, garlic and pepper until blended. Spread over cut sides of buns; top with cheese, bratwurst and sauerkraut mixture. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Reuben Brats in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p47
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Reuben Brats
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review