I found something similar to this years ago and have recently added my own spin. Here’s the outcome: an easy, cheesy meal your family can't get enough of. We don't have to tell them it's healthy. —Deborah Williams, Peoria, Arizona
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups salsa
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook beef and peppers over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in salsa, corn and water; bring to a boil.
Stir in tortilla strips. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until tortillas are softened. Sprinkle with cheese; cook, covered, 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Skillet Beef Tamales in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p15
Reviews for Skillet Beef Tamales
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review