Our Test Kitchen came up with this good-for-you alternative to high-sodium packaged bread crumbs, using garlic powder and a handful of dried herbs. The crumbs make a savory topping for casseroles and a crispy coating for pork, chicken and fish.
- 4 ounces Italian bread, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 cup.
Originally published as Seasoned Bread Crumbs in Light & Tasty December/January 2005, p15
Reviews for Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review