- 1 unsliced round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut bread widthwise into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut cheese into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices into small pieces. Place cheese in cuts.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, green onions and poppy seeds; drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Unwrap; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Savory Party Bread
Sort By :
"Made this for a party. I changed the cheeses but what a hit this was would definitely make it again."
"awesome. everyone devoured it"
"Excellent, excellent, excellent! I used shredded Italian 5-cheese blend, along with shredded swiss cheese, then sprinkled grated Parmesan over the top (I omitted the poppy seeds). Everyone loved it! I will definitely be adding this recipe to my "Keepers" list!"
"This recipe was soo enjoyed that my husband has banned it! He can't cut back and eat just a little... it's too addictive. I only used 1/2 # of cheese and it was perfectly cheesy and delicious."
"This recipe is a keeper! I made 2 of these loaves tonight! I scaled back on the amount, though & I used 2 12-oz. sour dough loaves total! Then I used 1-3/4 cups reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded, 1/4 cup each melted butter, one small onion, finely diced/cut and 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds EACH for the 2 loaves! I placed the cheese more on TOP of the bread and still made those cuts in the loaf as recipe directed! I'd divided the cheese up to use on the 2 loaves, and used the butter mixture individually on each loaf! It worked well for me to scale down on the amount of cheese and butter! I used 2 small YELLOW ONIONS, FINELY DICED/SLICED-one onion for each butter-onion-poppy seed spread! The trick for me is NOT cutting the loaf too deep so that the bread doesn't break! The bread did fan out, BUT NOT TOO MUCH! I have to admit I ate one! I gave the other loaf to my Mom and she said that it was a successful recipe! She really liked it! Kay Daly, THANK YOU for sharing this scrumptious loaf! I used this recipe for this week's recipe challenge: Appetizers for "Cook's Corner"! This bread could even be a meal in itself! The idea of adding garlic is also a great idea, ebramkamp! delowenstein"