- 1 unsliced round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut bread widthwise into 1-in. slices to within 1/2 in. of bottom of loaf. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut cheese into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices into small pieces. Place cheese in cuts.
- In a small bowl, mix butter, green onions and poppy seeds; drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Unwrap; bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Savory Party Bread
Sort By :
"Surprised my family. It not only tasted great but made me look very clever. Loved by all."
"I've seen quite a few variations on this recipe over the years. The version I made tonight was basically this one, except I couldn't find any sourdough bread and had to use Italian bread, and I forgot to buy Monterey Jack so instead used a mixture of grated provolone, grated mozzarella and grated Parmesan. I also added a minced clove of garlic to the melted butter. Really delicious!"
"I like this idea, it was very creative. I just tried this bread with the butter and cheese and it was good."
"I'd forgotten about this recipe until I saw it today while searching for appetizer recipes for our family's New Year's Eve celebration! I used to make this for a meatless Friday meal for our family of 8, & everyone loved it! Didn't change a thing! Some of our kids would dip it in barbeque sauce of Ranch dressing."
"Served this for Christmas Eve party. It was a HUGE hit. People raved about how good it was. So easy. Did add 1 tsp of Jarred minced garlic....and....it was fantastic. You won't believe that you can get all the cheese in the bread ..... but you can. I used 1 lb. of 3 cheese Mexican mix. There were only 6 adults and several other appetizers. Still over half the loaf was devoured. Hubby and I heated up (uncovered in the oven at 400 for 15 min) leftovers and it was still incredibly wonderful.Thank you for this excellent recipe. It is very versatile also. You can use different breads and/or different cheeses at your whim. Enjoy!!"