"THE WHOLE FAMILY helped prepared this sauerbraten. We children had fun mixing the spices and pounding them on the hearth, then Dad mixed them with salt and rubbed them into the meat. The tantalizing aromas escalated as the sauerbraten cooked.
Recommended: 15 Recipe Ideas for Oktoberfest
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 4 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 12 whole peppercorns
- 12 whole allspice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 jar (12 to 13 ounces) plum preserves or preserves of your choice
- 2 gingersnaps, crushed
- 1 cup beef broth or port wine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Place tablespoons of peppercorns and allspice in a cloth bag; crush. Mix in salt; rub over roast. Set aside. In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan, brown roast in drippings, over medium heat, on all sides. Add the vinegar, water, whole peppercorns, whole allspice, onion, bay leaves and reserved bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in preserves and gingersnaps; cook 1 hour longer or until meat is tender.
- Chill roast overnight in cooking liquid. Skim off fat. Heat roast slowly in cooking liquid until heated through, about 1 hour.
- Remove roast and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid; return 3-1/2 cups to pan. Combine broth and flour; stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Sauerbraten in Reminisce January/February 1994, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sauerbraten
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2011
"Great method to cut marinating fridge time. I liked this a lot!"