- 37 saltines cracker squares
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ounce white baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Place crackers in a single layer in a foil-lined 15-in. x -10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a large saucepan, bring butter and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Spread over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until chips begin to melt; spread chocolate evenly over top.
- In a microwave, melt white chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over toffee. Chill for 15-20 minutes or until set; break into pieces. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Reviews for Saltine Toffee
"This is my go to no fail recipe. Everyone loves it where ever I take it. I don't usually bother with white drizzle I sprinkle with either walnuts or pecans what ever I have on hand. Makes it more like English toffee. Would not recommend for microwave"
"OK Girls what did I do wrong? Butter and sugar separated and the sugar never completely melted. I used the microwaves was that my problem?"
"I love this recipe. I have even used gluten free crackers and it still turns out great! Love how easy this recipe is. Everyone loves it and are always surprised it is made out of crackers!"
"an easy sweet to make for the Holidays!"
"My parents asked me NOT to make this for them anymore!!! Once you start eating these addicting saltines you can't stop. I also use brown sugar. The beauty of this recipe is it allows you to use what is on hand. Any kind of chocolate chips or nuts works great. This allows you to customize each tray."