Saltine Toffee Recipe
- 37 saltines cracker squares
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ounce white baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Place crackers in a single layer in a foil-lined 15-in. x -10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a large saucepan, bring butter and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Spread over crackers.
- Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until chips begin to melt; spread chocolate evenly over top.
- In a microwave, melt white chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over toffee. Chill for 15-20 minutes or until set; break into pieces. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Reviews for Saltine Toffee
Sort By :
"an easy sweet to make for the Holidays!"
"My parents asked me NOT to make this for them anymore!!! Once you start eating these addicting saltines you can't stop. I also use brown sugar. The beauty of this recipe is it allows you to use what is on hand. Any kind of chocolate chips or nuts works great. This allows you to customize each tray."
"These are so easy and delicious! If you like the taste of English toffee, you're sure to like this also. Great for Christmas goodie plates."
"I used brown sugar instead of white. I have made this over and over again. It is very simple and makes a large batch. We like to package this up as gifts and have also sold it at craft fairs. Very, Very good!"