These shortbread bars have the taste of toffee without the hassle of making candy. They're attractive addition to a cookie tray. —Ruth Burrus, Zionsville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and salt, beating until smooth.
- Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 17-19 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately place chocolate bars on top; return to the oven for 1 minute. Spread melted chocolate over bars; sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 84 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Toffee Bars in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002