Toffee Crunch Ice Cream
I grew up on a farm where we had fresh eggs, milk and cream, so we often made homemade ice cream. Many years later, I'm back on a small farm where we have fresh eggs and I'm making ice cream again.
Total TimePrep: 25 min.+ chilling Process 20 min. + freezing
Makes6 servings (3 cups)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a saucepan, combine the egg, sugar and salt. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Whisk in chocolate, then add cream, coffee and vanilla. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Fold in candy and nuts. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 362 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Toffee Crunch Ice Cream in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.