Nutty Toffee Popcorn
"I use holiday tins to deliver this sweetly coated popcorn-nut crunch to family and friends on my Christmas list," notes Glenna Hale of Sceptre, Saskatchewan.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 quarts
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds, toasted
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn and nuts. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and cream of tartar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300°-310° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; quickly stir in baking soda and extract until mixture is light and foamy. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture; toss gently. Spread into two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Press gently to flatten. Cool completely. Break into pieces.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 666 calories, 45g fat (16g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 476mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Nutty Toffee Popcorn in Taste of Home December/January 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.