- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the brown sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Add the rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Rustic Rye Bread
Sort By :
"This bread is easy and tasty. it came out perfect and is worth the effort."
"Outstanding bread, easy to make, and always gone in a flash!"
"This bread is excellent! I've made it in a bread machine on dough cycle. I've made it into a loaf in an extra large loaf pan. I've also used full flavored molasses when I didn't have light molasses. Everyone that's tasted it has loved it."
"Made this recipe yesterday for thr first time. I love it!! It did take 1 1/2 hours for the first rise. I didn't have light molasses so I used honey. The bread is moist, texture is excellent. This will be my rye bread recipe from now on."
"Where can I find rye flour? I've looked in all 13 stores here in town and no one has it. I want to try this receipe because it looks like one that I loved in Sweden."