VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 6 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine raisins and rum. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, raisin mixture and vanilla. Combine the brown sugar, flour, lemon peel, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; sprinkle over fruit and toss lightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 30-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Rum-Raisin Apple Pie in TasteofHome.com 2017