- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan; sprinkle pecans onto bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, oil, eggs and water until well blended. In another bowl, whisk cake mix and spices; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, cinnamon and cloves; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in rum; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually brush glaze onto warm cake, about 1/4 cup at a time, allowing glaze to soak into cake before adding more. Cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Rum-Glazed Pumpkin Cake
Sort By :
"Very easy to make...was a great cake for our Halloween "picnic". Best part....leftover slice with coffee for early morning snack :-) Next time I would probably pour the glaze over the cake while still in the pan. It runs off too much otherwise. I have a recipe that is very similar for a plain rum cake and this method works great for it."
"Loved this, made 6 mini bundts and then held each upside down in a bowl with the glaze. It really soaked in. THEN, I served it with crushed heath bars, whipped cream and salted caramel topping (Smuckers). Everyone wanted the recipe. Next time (this weekend I plan to make the large bundt, and poke holes to pour the glaze into the cake.Thanks for a great recipe!"
"I would love to try this recipe however, any suggestions to substitute rum abstract for the alcohol. If yes, how much extract? I look forward to any responses.Thanks,Gee"
"Very moist. But the pumpkin flavor is subtle, and the rum is only in the glaze. I personally wouldn't use the words Pumpkin or Rum in the name of this recipe, because neither really stood out. Its more like a holiday spice cake. It reminds me more of coffee cake than actual cake."
"Delicious!! So easy to make and it was gone after I took it to work! We used all the glaze and would like to have used more pecans. Will probably add more next time."