Rich 'n' Cheesy Macaroni Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/3 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Stir in cottage cheese and sour cream. Pour over macaroni. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Rich 'n' Cheesy Macaroni(14)
Sort By :
I haven't made it yet but I would like to. The only thing is is I despise cottage cheese.
Can you substitute Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese in this recipe?
I have made this so many times... It is fantastic!! I don't use the bread crumbs and add a small diced onion. Wow just amazing!! So happy you shared it:)
I've made this many times and will continue to make it forever. It is incredibly good. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the world!
I do think this is the best mac & cheese I've eaten. I don't put the breadcrumbs on either. However, I do find I have too much sauce for the macaroni. Next time I will make more macaroni for it. I use a 9x13 since I don't have a 2.5 qt. I also use cut up deli American cheese as per the version I saw in the magazine. Might be a bit cheaper than velvetta and super tasty!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >