It's rhubarb time! Evelyn Winchester of Hilton, New York has a sweet way to put this spring crop to use—her moist muffin recipe. "I had several rhubarb plants on our farm in Iowa," Evelyn explains. "Even though I moved east to be closer to my children and grandchildren, I still make these muffins. I even won a ribbon with them at the 4-H bake sale here."
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- In a bowl, beat egg. Add brown sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla; beat for 1 minute. Combine dry ingredients; stir into sugar mixture just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Rhubarb Muffins in Country Woman March/April 1997, p32
Reviews for Rhubarb Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review